Fall & Spring Semester (12 weeks per semester)
Ages: Grades 5-7*
*It’s recommended students take 1 year of IEW writing prior to this course.
Semester tuition: $320 ($50 discount for private pay)
Class date and time: Mondays – 10am and 1pm (75 min)
Instructor: Chenning Peng
Mondays 10AM: 3 spaces
Mondays 1PM: 2 spaces
Payment*: Square store or Venmo email@example.com
- Students who sign up for this class are committing to two semesters, fall and spring.
- If paying privately, the price with the discount is $270. Click on payment link below or Venmo: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Families paying with charter school funds must leave a $25 deposit to hold their spot. Deposit refundable subject to our refund policy.
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed within 24 hours of registering.
Questions? Registration issues or questions for Chenning.
Students will practice writing expository, narrative, inventive and critique paragraphs and essays all while learning about the Medieval period. All of the source texts will be about the events, people and literature of the Middle Ages. We will go through all nine units of writing included in Teaching Writing Structure and Style over the two semesters.
Your students will learn the structure and style of excellent writing, and on the side learn grammar. Their reading comprehension and understanding of Medieval history will be strengthened by reading the source texts, taking notes, and re-synthesizing the material. Fall semester will end with a creative narrative story, and spring semester will culminate with a Living History report and presentation. I will model every step of the way, giving the students many tools to improve their writing and enhance their personal writing style. Students will have ample opportunities to share their writing and learn from one another. I will read each assignment and provide feedback. They will work up to the clearly organized five paragraph essay with an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
We will go at a more accelerated pace than Level A, working up to longer writing assignments. There will be written assignments due every week.
Some fun topics we’ll write about
Fall topics: Beowulf, Arthurian legends, kings of the Middle Ages, Vikings, Samurai, Golden Age of Islam
Spring topics: Cathedrals, castles, kings of the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, knights, chivalry, feudalism
What topics will be covered?
- Structure: Expository/informative essay – note-taking using key word outlines, topic sentences, clincher sentences, organizing topics, summarizing references, summarizing multiple references, 5 paragraph essay with introduction and conclusion
- Style: Dress-ups, decorations, literary devices, attention getting opener (hook), how to create an engaging title
- Narrative essay – story sequence chart, elements of every story
- Critique essay
Can we use California charter funds for this class?
- See our Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of charters.
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions can be found at the bottom of this page.
- $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
What are the required books and materials?
- IEW Medieval History Based Writing Lessons, Student and Teacher book (Combo link)
- IEW Student Resource Packet (link)
- Lap sized white board and dry erase marker (Amazon link, they frequently have these in the dollar bins at Target and also at various dollar stores at the end of summer)
- Fix It! Grammar: Level 1 The Nose Tree (teacher and student combo)
What tech platforms are required and used?
- Google Classroom
- Google Login or Gmail for each enrolled student
What are the semester dates?
- September 12, 19, 26
- October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
- November 7, 14, 28 (11/21 off for Thanksgiving Week)
- December 5
- January 23, 30
- February 6, 13, 27 (2/20 off for President’s Day)
- March 6, 13, 20, 27
- April 10, 17, 24 (4/3 off for Spring Break)
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
For more answers to your questions, see our Class FAQ page.
Fall Semester – 2022
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name
- Chenning Peng
- Class: Group tutoring – Medieval Writing Class
- Start date: September 12, 2022
- Semester end date: December 9, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 75 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 4 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $80 x 4 mos. (Sept-Dec)
- Semester tuition: $320
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/writing-online-classes/pages-for-the-middle-ages-intermediate-writing-for-middle-grades/