- Do your kids love animals?
- Are you looking for a biology or life science class?
- Are you looking for courses with hands-on activities?
- Do you have curious, self-starter kids that enjoy digging into their studies?
- If you answered “Yes!” to these questions, this class is just for your student!
Instructor: Chenning Peng
Ages: Grades 4-6
Time: Wednesdays at 1PM (75-90 minutes*)
Semester: Fall 2023; 12 classes
Schedule: Course meets on 9/13, 9/20, 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, and 12/6
OFF 11/22 Thanksgiving Week
- If paying privately, the price with the discount is $290
REGISTRATION FOR FALL HAS CLOSED. TO REGISTER FOR SPRING SCIENCE – EARTH STORY – VISIT THIS PAGE.
Questions? Contact Chenning for course questions; email Christine for registration questions. Read a recent interview with Ms. Chenning.
If your kids like to camp, beachcomb, hike, or visit an aquarium or zoo, they won’t want to miss this fun class! Chenning Peng, instructor of Star Spangled Writers, will use Carrier Shell Curriculum’s Earth Party! unit study curriculum. This semester-long class will explore the Linnaean system of classifying living things — single-celled life through the animal kingdom. During the course of the semester, students will be introduced to bacteria, fungi, plants, animals (vertebrates and invertebrates), and protists (algae, paramecium, etc). This course will explore the “what” in the categories of life on the planet, and Earth Story (spring semester) will explore the “where” life exists.
Each session will have 55 minutes of content from the Earth Party curriculum, watching videos, discussions, and looking at life forms; the last 15-20 minutes will involve games and hands-on activities. This class will have weekly reading and work, and a fun final project component.
Do you accept California Charter School funds?
- Yes, we do! See Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of charters.
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions can be found below.
- A $25 deposit is required to hold a spot. The deposit will be refunded when the PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
- Don’t see your charter on the list? Fill out this form to begin the process of adding your organization!
- Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (Amazon or available at libraries)
- Tree of Life by Rochelle Strauss (Amazon or available at libraries)
- Earth Party! Student Book (link)
- Microscope, USB (Link to an inexpensive one on Amazon.)
- Sketch book and colored pencils
- Lab supplies: materials such as a bird feather, pond water, an insect, chicken egg, and other weekly supplies are required; list TBD
- We sell a complete book pack in our store! (Note: the Teacher Book and Karl! Get Out of the Garden are not required for this course.)
What is the out of class course workload?
- Weekly: 1-2 hours per week reading the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (several pages a week) and written and/or other work.
- Final Project: 1-4 hours, depending on project chosen.
What type of parental support will be needed?
- Setting up Google login and email account for student (parents may share account with student)
- Assisting student in checking email and monitoring classroom postings/work
- Helping student as needed to upload photos of work to Google Classroom
*Why is there a time range for this class?
If the class is smaller in number, 75 minutes will be ample time. If the class ends up being larger, 90 minutes will be helpful to allowing everyone to see their specimen and complete activities.
What platforms are required?
Zoom and Google Classroom (Google Login Email or Gmail required)
Here is our cancellation and refund policy.
For more answers to your questions, see our Class FAQ page.
PURCHASE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS
For billing purposes, please order in monthly increments.
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name: Chenning Peng
- Class: Group tutoring – Earth Party Science Online Class
- Start date: September 13, 2023
- End date: December 6, 2023
- Duration of lesson: 75-90 minutes* (see time note above)
- Frequency: once per week for 12 weeks
- Cost per month: $85 per month x 4 months (September-December)
- Semester tuition: $340
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/science-online-classes/earth-party-science-fall-2023/