Just posted! 2021-22 School Year
[Ms. Christine] interweaves science and history with living books and hands on activities. She is warm, patient and enthusiastic. Not only is this a high quality curriculum, [she] knows just how to motivate my 9 year old son to happily write paragraphs!-Charis (mom of 9 year old boy)
- Do you have a 4th grader?
- Are you looking for a California history class?
- Have you visited California state or national parks, or the California missions?
- Are you overwhelmed about the idea of teaching California history, and desiring help and accountability moving your student through the material?
Ages: Grades 4-5
Semester tuition: $345 ($50 discount for private pay)
If privately paying, the class price with the discount is $295. Click on payment link below or Venmo @Christine-Echeverri.
Instructor/Sessions: Christine Echeverri (Tues. 10AM, 1PM)
Payment*: Square store
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed withing 24 hours of registering.
Class length: 75 minutes (55 minutes of content, 20 minutes games/activities)
- See Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of Charters
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions at the bottom of this page
- $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
Fall: Native Peoples, Missions, & Ranchos (15 weeks; Sept. 7-Jan. 21)
Spring: Gold Rush, 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, California through the 1930s (15 weeks; Jan 24.- May 20)
Join us for a year-long, two-semester course exploring history of the Pleistocene time period through the 1930s — as well as California habitats, geology, animal life, and more in the Golden State. Using the California Out of the Box curriculum authored by Christine Echeverri, students will employ a cross-disciplinary, multi-sensory approach that is sure to engage young students. Families will need to purchase the 6 literature books separately.
In class — we will cover reading comprehension, review, looking more closely at related material, watching videos, occasional hands-on projects and labs, and fun games. Using Google Classroom, weekly work and reading assignments will be posted. The class entails 40 pages of reading per week and other posted work involving research, projects, and written reflections; the coursework after reading usually takes 20-50 minutes per week. Click here for a sample of a weekly assignment. Fall semester will have a written project; spring semester features a fun, creative, hands-on project.
What are the required books and materials?
- Both Semesters: Audubon Field Guide to California
- First Semester (Sept.-Jan.): Island of the Blue Dolphins, Valley of the Moon: Diary of Maria Rosalia de Milagros by Sherry Garland, & By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman
- Second Semester (Jan..-May): By the Great Horn Spoon!, Earth Dragon Awakes by Laurence Yep, & Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- All books are available for purchase using private pay and charter school funds. See this link to purchase and to get PO pricing.
- Other materials: Supply lists for hands-on labs and activities will be sent the week prior to class. Most materials are easily found around the home.
The main requirement for this class is to read these fun books! The work and discussions during class will rely on the reading.
How will students learn the material?
Sample Project Video
Using online platforms, we will utilize the following modes of learning:
- In-class discussions
- Hands-on Project Videos: Use common materials in the home to explore and interact with the material.
- Games! For reading comprehension and learning other fun facts.
- Optional Extra-Credit Work: students can earn prizes when they complete assignments!
- Handouts with short stories and Student Folder sheets (from California Out of the Box)
- Video links to deepen learning.
What tech platforms are required and used?
- Online platform such as Zoom/Google Meets
- Google Login or Gmail for each enrolled student (required) and parent Google account (recommended)
- Google Classroom (GC)
- GC will not work properly without a Google Login
- If siblings enroll, each student will need a unique Google Login
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
- Google Classroom (GC)
- Computer mouse (helpful with games, etc.)
- For games we will use Kahoot, Quizlet, and others which will not require a login
What charters are you on with?
See this page for a list of current Service Vendorships. For your convenience, purchase order instructions are located at the bottom of this page.
What is the semester schedule?
Here is a link to our yearly schedule. In addition to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break, every 6-7 weeks, we take 1 week off.
If I have 2 students in this age range, do I need to pay and enroll both?
This class is a high-energy, participatory class. Every student that attends class will need to be enrolled. Students earn points for incentives; we review and look over student work to assign points, which involves the formalities of a student account in Google Classroom.
Do you record classes?
In the interest of having a truly socially cohesive environment where all students are in attendance, we do not record classes. However, we are happy to update students who miss class due to traveling, etc., about what was covered. Additionally, coursework will always be posted in Google Classroom.
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
CHARTER SCHOOL PURCHASE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS for California Out of the Box Online Classes
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name: Christine Echeverri (Tues 10AM, 2PM)
- Class: Group tutoring – California Out of the Box online history class
- Start date: September 7, 2021
- Semester end date: January 21, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 75 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 5 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $69 x 5 mos. (Sept-Jan)
- Semester tuition: $345 ($23 per class)
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/online-classes/california-out-of-the-box-online-history-class/