Gold Rush through 1930s
[Ms. Christine] interweaves science and history with living books and hands on activities. She is warm, patient and enthusiastic. Not only is this a high quality curriculum, [she] knows just how to motivate my 9 year old son to happily write paragraphs!-Charis (mom of 9 year old boy)
COMING SUMMER 2021 ~ Earth Party Science – 6 session class! Be notified when enrollment opens.
Semester Tuition: $180 private pay, $215 using charter funds (Home School Coaches * listed as “Abby Zabby LLC Home School Coaches”)
Ages: Grades 3-6
Date/Time (60 minutes):
- Tuesdays 2PM [1 opening]
- Wednesdays 2PM [wait list]
- Thursdays 9AM [3 openings]
- Thursdays 2PM [wait list]
On Registration Form, checking sections that are full will place families on the Wait List for that section. This page will have the most up to date openings!
WAIT LIST: When registration is received, we will confirm that you are either enrolled or wait-listed for a particular class. Sometimes spots do open for filled classes! Feel free to check back with us for new openings.
Spring Semester: February 2 – May 20, 2021 (14 weeks, 4 months) Off weeks: Feb 16 and March 29
Join Christine for a fun, complete semester of learning California history. Families with multiple students: Knock out California history in one semester! Siblings in 2nd-7th grade are welcome to enroll if at least one other sibling falls within the 3-6th grade range. (Course will follow the California Out of the Box curriculum for Gold Rush through 1930s.)
*Home School Coaches is signed up with many charters. Please visit their site to see if your charter is on their list.
What will we cover?
- Both Semesters: Audubon Field Guide to California
- First Semester (Sept.-Jan.): Island of the Blue Dolphins, Valley of the Moon: Diary of Maria Rosalia de Milagros by Sherry Garland, & By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman
- Second Semester (Feb.-May): By the Great Horn Spoon!, Earth Dragon Awakes by Laurence Yep, & Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- All books are available for purchase using charter school funds. See this link for more information.
How will students learn the material?
Using a mix of an online meeting platform (such as Zoom/Google Meets) and Google Classroom, we will utilize the following modes of learning:
- In-class discussions
- Hands-on Project Videos: Use common materials in the home to explore and interact with the material.
- Games! For reading comprehension and learning other fun facts.
- Optional Extra-Credit Written Work: students can earn prizes when they complete assignments!
- Handouts with short stories and Student Folder sheets (from California Out of the Box)
- Optional graded course option for students in grade 6 and above.
- Video links to deepen learning.
The main requirement for this class is to read these fun books! The work and discussions during class will rely on the reading.
- Complete the Registration Form.
- PRIVATE PAY: Once enrollment form is received and a spot is confirmed, you may either visit our secure Square site or Venmo (@Christine-Echeverri) to pay tuition — or we will send you a Square invoice, depending on choice indicated on registration form. (Note: visiting Square will take you away from our site. Click on link at the bottom of Square site to return to this page.) Payment in full must be remitted to hold enrollment spot.
- CHARTER FUNDS: Please remit $25 deposit per student via Square or Venmo (@Christine-Echeverri) to hold your spot. When requesting Purchase Order, select Home School Coaches (Abby Zabby LLC Home School Coaches) as the service vendor. Deposit will be refunded when Purchase Order for $215 arrives.* A deposit must be remitted to hold enrollment opening.
- Once the class(es) are full, a wait list will be started.
- Supply & Platform Requirements: books listed above, access to online live class meeting platform (details TBD), Google login with access to Google Classroom. (Extra Credit Point System requires each enrolled student have a unique Google login.)
- Questions? Email email@example.com.
- *Deposit refunded as long as student is enrolled in good standing.