Fall Semester (10 weeks)
Ages: Grades 3-4
Semester tuition: $275 ($50 discount for private pay)
Class date and time: Thursdays 1PM (60 min)
Instructor: Lynn Haselton
Payment*: Square store or Venmo firstname.lastname@example.org
- If paying privately, the price with the discount is $225. Click on payment link below or Venmo: email@example.com
- Families paying with charter school funds must leave a $25 deposit to hold their spot. Deposit refundable subject to our refund policy.
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed within 24 hours of registering.
Questions? Registration issues or questions for Lynn. Read a recent post about Lynn and an article about this class.
Ancient cave paintings tell us that humans have long been fascinated by horses. Horses were first domesticated about 6,000 years ago in the Asian steppes, and thereafter helped shape human history until they were replaced by coal and steam in the late modern era.
In this literature-based class, we will study some of the earliest horse cultures (Scythians), the recruitment of horses to warfare (Greece, Rome and Mongolia), and the introduction of modern horses to North America, which profoundly impacted indigenous cultures. Students will engage in independent research to learn about different breeds of horses from all over the world, and discuss how their different shapes and sizes were exploited for transportation, farming and other activities. After the invention of the steam engine, did horses disappear? No, we modern humans continue to emotionally connect with horses in the pursuit of sports and leisure. Join us in this semester-long course to learn more about mankind’s enduring relationship with these beautiful animals!
Amazing Horses in Art and Literature
What topics will the course cover?
- Horses in Ancient Art
- Horses on Every Continent (except Antarctica)
- Horses Advance Early Civilization
- Horsepower in the Industrial Revolution
- Horse Breeds and Colors
- Famous Horses
Can we use California charter funds for this class?
- See our Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of charters.
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions can be found at the bottom of this page.
- $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
What are the required books and materials?
- The booklist will be posted soon!
What tech platforms are required and used?
- Online platform such as Zoom
- Google Classroom
- Google Login or Gmail for each enrolled student and parent Google account
What is the semester schedule?
- Fall Semester: September 12-November 14 (10 classes)
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
For more answers to your questions, see our Class FAQ page.
Fall Semester – 2022
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name
- Lynn Haselton
- Class: Group tutoring – Harnessing Horsepower: History of Horses
- Start date: September 12, 2022
- Semester end date: November 14, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 60 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 3 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $91.67 x 3 mos. (Sept-Nov)
- Semester tuition: $275
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/history-online-classes/harnessing-horsepower/