Fall Semester (13 weeks, September 12-December 16)
Ages: Grades 5-6
Class date and time: Thursdays 10 AM (75 minutes)
Fall semester: $345 (13 weeks, $50 discount for private pay)
Spring semester: $390 (15 weeks, $50 discount for private pay)
Instructor: Lynn Haselton, PhD
Payment*: Square store or Venmo email@example.com
- Students who sign up for this class are committing to two semesters, fall and spring.
- If paying privately, the class price with the discount is $295 for fall and $340 for spring.
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed within 24 hours of registering.
- Payment link below or Venmo: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Registration issues or questions for Lynn. Here is a recent blog article about Lynn.
We will explore significant events in early American history in the years between 1492 and 1880, with an emphasis on the perspective of marginalized groups. For this literature based class, I chose historical fiction titles that inspire empathy for peoples that have been typically underrepresented in traditional American history courses. In the fall semester students will learn about colonization and westward expansion. In the spring semester we will move on to slavery and the Civil War and Reconstruction.
Much learning in the class is student-led. Students will be asked to frequently engage in directed independent research and share their discoveries with the class. As part of these research efforts, we create an interactive class map that marks important locations in American history and illustrates the evolving geography of the expanding nation. Additionally, there will be a mix of creative hands-on projects and writing assignments.
Hands-on Project Samples
Over the course of the year, what topics will be covered?
- Native Americans
- The American Revolution
- The Constitution
- Westward Expansion
- Enslavement of Africans
- The Underground Railroad
- African American Coded Spirituals
- The Civil War
- Jim Crow South
Do you take California charter funds?
- Yes, we do!
- See our Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of charters.
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions can be found at the bottom of this page.
- A $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
What are the required books and materials?
Textbook: History Quest: United States by (available as a digital book, audiobook, and a physical book)
School Supplies: List coming soon!
- Blue Birds by Caroline Starr Rose (link)
- One Dead Spy by Nathan Hale (link)
- How I Became a Ghost by Tim Tingle (link)
What is the semester schedule?
- Fall: September 12 – December 16 [13 weeks of class with 1 week off for Thanksgiving Break]
- Spring: January 9 – May 5 [15 weeks of class with 2 weeks of break(s) (may be non-consecutive)]
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
For more answers to your questions, see our Class FAQ page.
CHARTER SCHOOL PURCHASE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS for Early American History: Exploring Alternate Perspectives Through Literature
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name: Lynn Haselton
- Class: Group tutoring – Early American History: Exploring Alternate Perspectives Through Literature
- Start date: September 12, 2022
- Semester end date: December 16, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 75 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 4 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $86.25 x 4 mos. (Sept-Dec)
- Semester tuition: $345
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/history-online-classes/early-american-history-exploring-alternate-perspectives-through-literature/