Ages: Grades 4-6
Semester tuition: $345 ($50 discount for private pay)
If privately paying, the class price with the discount is $295.
Payment link below or Venmo: email@example.com
Instructor: Lynn Haselton, PhD
Payment*: Square store
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed withing 24 hours of registering.
Class length: 75 minutes
- See Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of Charters
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions at the bottom of this page
- $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
Fall: Colonization, Revolution and Westward Expansion (15 weeks)
Spring: Slavery and the Civil War (15 weeks)
We will explore significant events in North America and the nascent United States in the years between 1492 and 1880. I chose many of the literature titles to inspire empathy for peoples that have been typically underrepresented in traditional American history courses. In the first semester students will think about the Native American perspective on colonization and westward expansion. In the second semester we will learn about slavery and the African American experience up through the Civil War (and Reconstruction, if we have time.) There will be some overlap in the timelines between the first and second semesters.
Each week students will be assigned reading from the selected novel, as well as independent research on an assigned historic topic. Some weeks I will give specific website links to information for the assignments. In class students will share what they learned from their research, and we will discuss the novel within this newly shared knowledge. We will create together a group timeline and a group map. Students will get the most out of the weekly discussions if they read the assigned part of the novel before class. There will be a brief writing assignment each semester, as well as a hands-on project.
Weekly reading assignments will be posted in Google Classroom. Each student needs to have his or her own Google login. We will use Zoom for our weekly meetings.
What are the required books and materials?
- Both Semesters: DK Smithsonian Children’s Encyclopedia of American History (available here)
- Fall Semester (available on amazon.com or your favorite independent bookstore):
- Blue Birds by Caroline Starr Rose
- One Dead Spy by Nathan Hale
- My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
- How I Became a Ghost by Tim Tingle
- Ben and Me by Robert Lawson (optional, class read aloud)
- Second Semester: Books TBD
What charters are you on with?
See this page for a list of current Service Vendorships. For your convenience, purchase order instructions are located at the bottom of this page.
What is the semester schedule?
Here is a link to the yearly schedule.
If I have 2 students in this age range, do I need to pay and enroll both?
Yes. both students will need to be enrolled.
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
CHARTER SCHOOL PURCHASE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS for Early American History and Geography, A Literature Approach
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name: Lynn Haselton
- Class: Group tutoring – Early American History and Geography, A Literature Approach online class
- Start date: September 13, 2021
- Semester end date: January 21, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 75 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 5 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $69 x 5 mos. (Sept-Jan)
- Semester tuition: $345 ($23 per class)
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/history-online-classes/early-american-history-and-geography-a-literature-approach/