Fall: Native Peoples, Missions and Ranchos (14 weeks; Sept. 5 – Dec. 16)
- Do you have a 4th grader?
- Are you looking for a California history class?
- Have you visited California state or national parks, or the California missions?
- Are you looking for a positive community for your child to grow with as they explore California history?
- If you answered “Yes!” to any of these questions, this class is just for you!
Ages: Grades 4-5
Semester tuition: $365 ($50 discount for private pay)
Class length: 75 minutes (55 minutes of content, 20 minutes games/activities)
Come and join us on a California adventure!
Instructor: Tracy Yeoh
Payment*: Square store or Venmo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students who sign up for this class are committing to two semesters, fall and spring.
- If paying privately, the price with the discount is $315. Click on payment link below or Venmo: email@example.com
- Families paying with charter school funds must leave a $25 deposit to hold their spot. Deposit refundable subject to our refund policy.
- Payment or deposit (charter families), must be completed within 24 hours of registering.
Questions? Registration issues or questions for Tracy. Read a recent post about Tracy.
Join us for a year-long, two-semester course beginning with the Native American experience before European exploration began in the 16th century, to New Spain and the mission period, CA statehood and the Gold Rush, through the Dust Bowl in the 1930s. Throughout our study, we will explore several habitats, animals and plants that help us appreciate the flora and fauna of California.
Using the California Out of the Box curriculum authored by Christine Echeverri, students will employ a cross-disciplinary, multi-sensory approach that is sure to engage young students.
In class we will discuss the five literature books that we will read throughout the year and engage with topics of study through slides, videos, and hands-on projects with lots of opportunities for creativity.
Using Google Classroom, reading and assignments involving research, writing, illustrations, slide presentations, and hands-on activities will be posted.
See this blog article for more project samples!
Spring: Gold Rush, 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, California through the 1930s (14 weeks; Jan. 9 – April 21)
Can we use California charter funds for this class?
- See our Service Vendorship list for an up-to-date list of charters.
- Purchase Order (PO) instructions can be found at the bottom of this page.
- $25 deposit required to hold spot. Deposit will be refunded when PO arrives, subject to our refund policy.
What are the required books and materials?
- Both Semesters: Audubon Field Guide to California
- First Semester (Sept.-Dec.): Island of the Blue Dolphins, Valley of the Moon: Diary of Maria Rosalia de Milagros by Sherry Garland, & By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman
- Second Semester (Jan.-April): By the Great Horn Spoon!, Earth Dragon Awakes by Laurence Yep, & Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- All books are available for purchase using private pay and charter school funds. See this link to purchase and to get PO pricing.
- Other materials: Supply lists for hands-on labs and activities will be sent the week prior to class. Most materials are easily found around the home.
How will students learn the material?
Sample Project Video
Using online platforms, we will utilize the following modes of learning:
- In-class discussions
- Hands-on Project Videos: Use common materials in the home to explore and interact with the material
- Games! For reading comprehension and learning other fun facts
- Handouts with short stories and Student Folder sheets (from California Out of the Box)
- Video links to deepen learning
What tech platforms are required and used?
- Online platform such as Zoom
- Google Classroom
- Google Login or Gmail for each enrolled student and parent Google account
What is the semester schedule?
- Fall semester: September. 5 – December 16
- Spring semester: January 9 – April 21
What are your registration and cancellation policies?
See this page for policies.
For more answers to your questions, see our Class FAQ page.
Fall Semester – 2022
For billing purposes, please request purchase orders using monthly interval price below (instead of the whole semester length).
- Vendor: Christine Echeverri DBA Carrier Shell Curriculum
- Instructor name
- Tracy Yeoh (Tuesday 10AM, Thursday 10AM)
- Class: Group tutoring – California Out of the Box online history class
- Start date: September 5, 2022
- Semester end date: December 16, 2022
- Duration of each lesson: 75 minutes
- Frequency: once per week for 4 months (see schedule above)
- Cost per month – Fall semester: $91.25 x 4 mos. (Sept-Dec)
- Semester tuition: $365
- Class link: https://carriershellcurriculum.com/classes/history-online-classes/california-out-of-the-box-2022-23/